GM ECMs and harnesses

Thomas Wright tgw3448 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 3 23:40:13 GMT 1997

Charles Morgan wrote:

> At 01:42 PM 7/3/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Does any body know what the part number is for the ECM on a 1992 to
> >@1995 Chevy V6 4300?  Will it physically plug into a V8 TPI harness?
> >I was thinking about the possibility of using a GM CPI system (chevy
> V6
> >4300 version of TPI) on my 6cyl car.  I noticed that there are many
> >aftermarket V8 TPI harness for sale for not very much money, that are
>
> >designed for custom (hot rod, off road, etc.)  installations
> >(unnecessary crap eliminated) for relatively cheap.  It might be
> worth
> >the money for a good, new harness,  without the hassle of untangling
> >fatigued, baked harness from a wreck.  But all the aftermarket
> harnesses
> >are for V8 TPIs.  I would need to modify it to work with a V6 system
> and
> >computer.
> >Does anybody know if this is possible (I mean easy - anything is
> >possible)?
>
> Tom, Fuel Injection Specialties will make a 4.3L CPI wiring harness
> for you.
> The 4.3L CPI engine is not true TPI--it uses only a single injector
> ('92-'95), with pressure operated poppet valves at each cylinder.  You
>
> didn't say what kind of 6cyl engine you have now, but I'm not sure the
> CPI
> manifold would fit anything other than a 4.3L engine.  Even then I'm
> not
> sure it would fit a carbureted or TBI 4.3L--the CPI block is somewhat
> different to accomodate a balance shaft.
>
> Charlie Morgan

  Yep, I just found that out after going to the public library and
checking out the Chilton manuals.  It was actually on the Fuel Injection
Specialties site that I read "Another system was introduced in 1992
called Central Port Injection ... This system is the equivalent of  the
TPI for the V6 ..."
I guess I misinterpreted them.

Tom Wright

PS.  my engine is a Jaguar straight 6