Introduction & O2 Sensor Questions

Neil Poersch/MTSCom/MTS Neil_Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Mon Jul 7 21:22:19 GMT 1997

	boughton @ bignet.net (James Boughton)
05/07/97 10:42 AM

Jim,
Thanks for the info.

> As far as I can tell, the problem with using an oxygen sensor to do wide
range fuel/air >work is that they are not accurate in the rich region.  The
cheapest system I am familiar with to do >wide range measurement is
$1000.00US.  The problem is that the partial pressure of oxygen in >the exhaust
is dependent on temperature on the rich side of stoichiometric.

I suspected this was the case.  I wonder if an O2 sensor with an integrated
heater would help?

 >For more information, consult John Heywood's book "Internal Combustion Engine
>Fundamentals", page 302, where you will also find a voltage output vs. lambda
curve.

My local library has a 1988 version but that may be too old to contain a
section on O2 sensors.  I will check it out.

> Also, another error is introduced since the oxygen sensor functions according
to the >Nernst equation,

Can you recommend a source of info on the Nernst equation?