Info needed on Lucas single-point efi

Rich Mauruschat richm at sykes.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 07:26:03 GMT 1997

At 15:16 08/07/97 +0100, you wrote:
>I am looking for any info on the web or books on LUCAS Single-point fuel
>injection.
>
>I can find mech abou the BOSCH L-jet on my '86 BMW, but nothing for my
>friends '91 River 820SLi 16v.
>
>His car is doing 11mpg, so I want to help him sort this out ASAP.
>
>Thanks for any info, Richard

Is your 11mpg accompanied by obviously rich running? May be worth checking
the coolant sensor operation, a common problem with earlier Lucas systems;
the sensor fails showing a falsely low temperature measurement and hence
over rich fuelling.
Also has power been disconnected from the ECU? The SPi system has an
'adaptive' fueling control which adjusts gradually for changes in operating
conditions and engine condition etc. When power is disconnected the ECU
suffers severe amnesia and forgets all it has learnt in one go and takes
time to readjust. This is usually apparent from idle exhaust gas CO
readings, which default to approx. 6% until reset electronically via the
diagnostic connector (no mechanical adjustment available on SPi).
As an aside, is the 820SLi actually single point injection? 'i' suffix
models are usually multi-point and 'e' suffix single point but this may not
be universal.