EGT rising at wot with boost

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Thu Jul 10 01:21:24 GMT 1997

     <<<
     First off, the spike in EGT you're seeing isn't because of what you've
     theorized.  It's because at elevated boost conditions, your fuel
     system
     is going lean on you.  Overly high O2 concentrations can superheat
     your
     EGT, causing melted pistons and other wonderful byproducts.  I would
     recommend that you go with larger injectors, additional injectors, or
     rising rate fuel pressure regulator to counteract the lean condition
     your engine is experiencing.   >>>

     Well, no, there's something else going on here that I'm asking about.
     I agree that leanness will cause problems but we (being a relatively
     large sample size) see the rise whether rich, right on, double extra
     injectors, six 55#/hr inj on a 231" engine, whatever. I see it on my
     car when it's pig rich. I guess a good illustration of the effect is
     the dramatic photos one sees of turbo engines at full boogie on a dyno
     with exh parts glowing bright red all the way up to the turbine; much
     cooler pipes though (ie no glow) after the turbine, which has
     extracted its energy.

     <<<
     Secondly, the exhaust side of the turbo should not be seeing
     significantly high pressures.  High backpressures on the exhaust side

     I must not have been clear enough; the higher pressure I was referring
     to is in the exh manifold before the turbine, not after, and relative
     to n.a. exh press which is close to atmosphereic (for open exh).

     Todd       tking at scic.intel.com