GM TBI questions - again

Joe Chiasson chiasson at hutchtel.net
Sat Jul 12 05:19:06 GMT 1997

> From: Greg Woods <gwoods at symtx.com>
> To: 'diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu'
> Subject: GM TBI questions - again
> Date: Friday, July 11, 1997 8:18 AM
>
> Hey all,
>
> as some of you may remember I recently completed installation of a 86 GM
TBI system
> into my 2.8l cherokee.  I drove it around 1500 miles over the 4th of july
weekend
> without any problems!  However, their are a few things puzzling me.
> The car pops / backfires upon deceleration.  Does this mean the air/fuel
is too rich
> at that time?  How can I fix this??

Upon deceleration your injectors should pretty much be shut off.  Either
you have a tip leaker or your TPS is out of wack.  (If you have a tip
leaker you would have a problem starting the engine after sitting for a
while, of which you did  not mention)

> Also, upon acceleration I've noticed that the car  is missing.  I didn't
notice this > > before the swap.  Is their any way the TBI system could be
causing this??

You could be leaning out or have a wild spark adavnce causing detonation
outside the cylinder.  Perhaps you injectors are not staying open, perhaps
your tps is out of wack, perhaps your fule pump cannot supply enough flow
at higher loads.

Check tps first!!!!!