dodge 2.2 turbo II odd efi problem, intermittent rich condition

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 15 18:33:16 GMT 1997

So this is just my guess.  I assume that your Dodge is a speed density
system and not a hot wire (mass air flow meter) system.  In which case
the computer is programed to deliver a certain amount of fuel at a
certain RPM/throttle position/load.  When a lobe is flattened you're not
taking in as much air as you should be but the computer is oblivious to
this fact since it does not physically measure the amount of incoming air
it infers it from the programed look up tables.  Since there is less air
but a predetermined amount of fuel going in you wind up with a rich
situation.  I think it makes perfect sense.  Worn engine means less air
entering but the same amount of fuel thus the richness. (just to beat the
point into the ground)

Then again what do I know.  What do other people think?
cheers
jw