Aftermarket stand-alone systems

Michael McBroom bodhi at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 16:59:17 GMT 1997

My project vehicle (a Volvo w/B230FT engine) uses a Bosch LH-Jetronic
system for fuel management and a Bosch electronic ignition system, both
of which are adequate for stock applications and mild performance
tuning.  I have already stretched the above packages to their limits,
though, and will need to step up to a stand-alone system that will give
me the room I need for future expansion and tuning requirements.

I've been reading up a bit on a several stand-alone efi/ignition
systems, such as Electromotive's TEC-II, Accel's DFI, Haltech, and
Motec.  Of all these, I only have relatively complete information on the
TEC-II.  To install it, though, I'd have to replace most of the existing
Bosch sensors with GM ones and I don't want to do that.  I would prefer
to find a stand-alone system that will adapt itself to the Bosch
equipment already in place.  Based on what I've been able to determine
so far, it appears that Haltech may be the way to go for my
application.  I'm wondering, though, if one of the others might also be
a viable option?  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has replaced a
Bosch pulsed efi & electronic ignition system with a stand-alone one.

--
Best,

Michael McBroom

'87 745T 123k w/APC (batoutahell!)
'88 765T 154k

Graduate Student, Linguistics                         Author of
Research Interest: Biological Origins       =McBroom's Camera Bluebook=
of Language                                     http://mcbrooms.com
California State University, Fullerton