eproms via lpt

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon Jul 21 19:25:12 GMT 1997

>Has anyone had a go at rippin out the eprom from a memcal and replacing
>it with a eeprom and interfacing it with the lpt of a pc???  maybe edit
>a bin file then just plugin and send it on down rather than erasing the
>eprom ......rather than removing the memcal at all????

Yes Justin, I see exactly what you are getting at.  I had ordered a while
back a LPT-based eeprom programmer, however it was mis-delivered and
eventually out of fustration I cancelled the order.

If you are running a GM based V8 ECM, there are some shareware/freeware
programs on the internet that allows you to tweek the settings, however I
have not tested this or played with it.

All GM, late model Ford, and some of the foreign vehicles have some kind of
interface installed... however one needs to create an interface between the
proprietary ECM interface and the PC to grab and manipulate the data.

In the Buick Grand National world, "TurboLink" comes to mind, and is an
excellent product.  I checked out the demo version, and the screens offers
a lot of information.

Hope that helped.

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List