The conversion

A70Duster at aol.com A70Duster at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 06:04:19 GMT 1997

I think I got it (going thru my Motimer's Chemistry Book).

Air is 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen.

The molecular weight of Nitrogen (diatomic molecule) is 28 g / mole.

The molecular weight of Oxygen (also diatomic) is 32 g / mole.

The molecular weight (roughly, using above ratios) is 28.6 g / mole.

The are 22.4 moles of gas per liter (by experiment) at 0 degrees C and 1 atm.

Using the Ideal Gas Law, the number above comes to 24.1 moles / L at 20 C.

There is 28.3 liters per cubic foot (sees like alot).

Now, mix it all together and

x (g of air / sec) * (1 mole of air / 28.6 g of air) * (1 liter of air / 24.1
moles of air) *

                                (1 cubic foot of air / 28.3 liters of air) *
(60 seconds / 1 minute)

EQUALS

x (g of air / sec) * 1 / 325  = y (cubic feet of air / minute)

So divide the grams of air per second by 325 to convert to cubic feet of air
per minute.

NOTE:  With air flowing, this conversion will have a higher than actual
reading in cubic feet per minute.  That ol' compressibility of air comes in
to smuck up everything.  Thanks Bernoulli....

See ya,

Mike