O2 sensor mounting

Mark Eidson Mark_Eidson at ccm.ch.intel.com
Tue Jul 29 18:05:39 GMT 1997

Text item:

FYI, I had the weld on boss welded to my cast iron exhaust manifold by
my local machine shop.  me

Subject: Re: O2 sensor mounting
Author:  owner-diy_efi-outgoing at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    6/4/97 12:55 PM

O2 sensors are 18 X 1.5 mm thread and use a crush washer like some spark
plugs. You can buy a weld-on boss from Jeg's or Summit but it would have
to go on the exhaust pipe itself and not the cast iron manifold.

Mike M.
ShadeTree Racing

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Ron Madurski wrote:

> :
> :
> :I have an exhaust manifold that does not have a tapped hole
> :for an O2 sensor but their is what looks to be like a spot
> :that is tapped out when this manifold was used on FI type
> :engines.
> :
> :Does anyone know what is involved in tapping an
> :O2 sensor hole?  I think I read somewhere that you can't just drill
> :it and tap it with a normal tap because of sealing issues
> :between the sensor and the manifold once the assembly gets
> :up to temp.  Has anyone done anything like this?
> :
>
> I got a boss for the O2 sensor from a speed shop and had it welded in to
> my existing header.
>
> :Any and all comments welcome!
> :TIA
> :