EGT sensor placement

MaxBoost at aol.com MaxBoost at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 16:22:57 GMT 1997

>This may seem pretty far fetched, but would it be possible to mount an egt
>sensor where the egr unit goes on the tpi chev manifold, since I've just got
>this hole blocked off anyway ?  Reason for asking is that I'd like to have
>an egt sensor, but I'm not thrilled about drilling holes in my extractors.

Funny you should mention that.  I just installed mine in the egr hole on my
turbo V6 for the same reasons you mentioned yesterday.  The port is located
just after one bank merges together, but before the turbo.  So far it works
great.  The one thing to watch is to make sure that the tip of the probe
extends into the exhaust stream.  Usually the egr port has a fairly long
mounting boss and if you probe isn't long enough it won't be able to
accurately measure the temp of the exhaust stream.

Good luck,
Max