efi fuel tank baffle

Watson, Bill Bill.Watson at alliedsignal.com
Tue Jun 3 14:20:58 GMT 1997

Well, I've been thru this same question; multiple pumps, flapper doors,
sump
on bottom, surge tank, and have come up with what I consider to be the
ideal
solution.. see what you think.  It has two non-moving baffles.  I'll try
draw it below, bear with me;
|                                 ****                  |
|                                *                      |
|                               *                       |
|                               *                     * |
|                         *     *                     * |
|                     **    *   *                ****** |
|                  **         **            *****       |
|            ****      **    P      ********            |
|    *********        *  *       **                     |
|    *                *     **                          |
|    *               *                                  |
|                    *                                  |
|                    *                                  |
|                ****                                   |
This is a top view, the top of the screen is 'forward'.  'P' is the pump
location.  This cheesy plot above doesn't show some of the good details,
but
I hope we can see the idea.  Connect the 'two sets of dots' with a china
pencil on your screen.  The concept is that during Turns, Accels or
decels,
fuel is directed to the pump from these, say, 6" tall baffles.  The
baffles
do wrap around the pump more than shown, (quite a bit, but I couldn't
easily
show it) to keep fuel from just running by the pump.  Baffles do NOT go
all
the way to each side, allowing fuel to equilibrate in depth between
maneuvers.  This design allows a in-tank pump (which I consider
to be quieter) and in my case, I have two side-by-side; running only one
most
all of the time when fuel reqt's are low, then the DFI turns on a second
pump
under specific boost conditions where one pump just won't cut it.  This
way
you can buy cheaper, low flow pumps, have the convenience of swapping
wires
if the pump dies to get home, and not have to buy the expensive mongo
pump
for the 15 seconds a day you actually need the flow.  PS, port the
return
line to the pump area too.

Hope this helps, it sure helped my project.

Bill