efi fuel tank baffle

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Wed Jun 4 14:22:15 GMT 1997

John, I believe you will run into some warpage problems if you try to weld
baffles into the pre-fabed tank. It can be done with the right welding
techniques though. You must be extremely carfull to restrain the metal while
meticilusly welding the baffle in.

Sa far as the baffle design, KISS (keep it seductively simple). I would weld
2" tall strips to the tank (width wise) to create a 4 - 5" wide "pump well".
I would drill two 3/8" or so wholes (before welding), on each side of the
baffle near the side walls. This would be four holes total. The tank would
function as follows:

On a hard turn, fuel will bank on one of the side baffles until it spills
over into the pump pit. As this is happening, a smaller ammount of fuel will
be leaking out of the 3/8" holes on the low end and some fuel will be
flowing over the lower baffle. All of this will buy you time as the fuel
migrates from one end to another while you pull 14 g's on the skid pad.

My home built has three seperate tanks. One burn tank and two ballast tank.
I've burnt many hairs off of my head thinking about simple and effective
baffle designs. This is the best that I could come up with.

George "spare the gas tank welding comments" Dailey

At 11:26 AM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>--------
>
>First, p
lease don't turn this thread into a discussion on how you
>should or should not weld to a gas tank...
>
>I have a 22 gal stainless steal "regular" gas tank. I intend to add a
>few internal baffle plates to reduce the amount fuel slosh as the tank
>nears empty. I would like some comments and suggestion as to what
>might work best (geometry, orientation, sizes....). Thanks.
>
>                                       John S Gwynne
>                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
>               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
>    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
>                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7297

George M. Dailey
gmd at tecinfo.com