8061 / 8063 op-codes

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Wed Jun 4 23:45:50 GMT 1997

Hey Tom...

>  - you can't patent or copyright op-codes (i.e. numbers) -- that's
> how AMD is able to make the 80486 but can't make a "Pentium"

Exactly :)

>  - you can't be prevented from "reverse engineering" something
> you own (and I don't know the current status of the legal
> maneuver that says you're only "leasing" something you bought,
> but I suspect it's been thrown out by the courts)

I used to be in outside sales for a NJ-based computer store in the late
80's, mostly selling to corporate accounts in Northern NJ, Rockland County,
NY, and NYC.  A particular giant Japanese electronics firm (which moved
into NJ back in the early 80's) used to to be a constant source of
entertainment.  Every time a competitor came out with a new laptop,
luggable PC, or something remotely similar, they'd come in with corporate
credit cards and buy three of each :).

Good for commissions :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List