8061 / 8063 op-codes

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Thu Jun 5 00:07:04 GMT 1997

> * Cost of support: it costs money to create documentation, proof it,
>   keep it correct, etc.  You (probably correctly) state that Ford
>   won't make much money off this deal, so where's the benefit to Ford
>   of doing this?

Howdy CJ... I would imagine Ford would ::have:: to have accurate
documentation in order to revamp and improve the units over time.  Of
course, if its like any other fortune XXX company, in all likelyhood, its a
large amount of post-its spread across three cubicles <G>.

> * Fear of liability:  there are many EEC-IV cars trekkin' in the US
>   and abroad.  What if somebody looked at all the info and said "hey,
>   there's this giant bug in here that Ford is ignoring!"  You and I

I think its more of a support issue... consider this.

1. Ford sells a lot of "cookie cutter" cars.  Seemingly millions?  Well,
its more than #2 below.
2. Lets assume everyone on this list wants to move to EEC-IV fuel
injection.  Lets also be kind and assume we represent about 3% of the FI
population who would want to do this.  That results in about 200 /.03 =
60,000 units sold max.  For Ford to publish pretty documentation and
develop a global marketing strategy, probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
 Of course I'm making up numbers here, just to make a point, but the idea
is sound.  The have perfected the art of mass-production vehicles, just as
Chrysler and GM have.  Its in the numbers these days.

> If the two issues above are the only things holding the company back
> from releasing the information, it is often possible to obtain the
> information on a case-by-case basis simply by signing some
> non-disclosure legal forms.

This be true... and most companies larger than a breadbox will consider
this, especially if a fee is paid.

> I don't know how one would go about doing
> that within the colossus of Ford Corporate, but maybe some Ford people
> could tell you.

I'd start by calling the Ford Regional offices, which have 800 numbers
across the US at least... start from there!

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Website: http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm
Email: frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com & FJB203 at aol.com