EFI332 Fuel Pump On/Off Algorithm

Albert Grippo grippo at cebaf.gov
Mon Jun 9 19:00:44 GMT 1997

> Does the EFI332 project plan on implementing an algorithm to
> control the fuel pump (relay)?  From what I understand about
> OEM ecmm's, they turn off the fuel pump if the engine hasn't
> started for X seconds.

  There is a simple algorithm in the efi code on the web site
  which checks for crank motion during the attempt to get synch.
  If there has been no motion for x seconds (x a user input),
  then the pump is turned off via a relay controlled by the
  octal serial chip. When synch is achieved, the pump is turned
  back on and stays on as long as there is synch. If the crank
  were to stop, there would be loss of synch and the logic
  would return to the 'get synch' loop and again cut off the pump if
  no motion in x seconds. An alternate way of checking would be
  to use a watchdog timer. As for the timeout, I believe Electromotive
  uses 20 seconds. I don't know what the oems use - but FORD has
  an inertia switch to kill the pump in the event of an accident;
  since I have a **very** high flow pump, I intend to implement
  this idea also.

> I would be interested in knowing if they still implement this,
> and if so, what other factors contribute to controlling the
> fuel pump?

 Other than safety, the only other things I can think of are fuel
 pressure, which would be done through the pressure regulator, and
 to cut back on consumption of electricity (since I don't need
 the full flow of my pump I will pulse width modulate it ).

    Al Grippo