bhp

Andrew Rabbitt AERabbitt at rce.ricardo.com
Wed Jun 11 07:53:24 GMT 1997

> > Can you imagine how out of tune an auto would have to be for ANY
> spark
> > plug change to give an additional 50 Horsepower?
>
> The purpose of the plug is to ignite the fuel.  In some circumstances,
>
> different materials are more or less prone to oxidation in heated
> environments, so yes, in theory, different plugs might make a
> difference.
>  Also, plugs come in temperature ranges, different gap settings,
> different
> insulator materials.  I've honestly never figured out technically the
> reasons why, but if someone on the list can explain why a plug is not
> plug, I'm all ears :)

The spark energy influences the power (by increasing the burn rate) more
than the spark plug itself, and this is related to the stored coil
energy and not necessarily the plug specification.

50 hp sounds like a lot, but if you've got a 2000 hp Merlin XX then it
seems feasible.  In the real (automotive) world, you might see a 2-3%
change.

Andrew Rabbitt