Ignition Coil Drive Circuit

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 22:48:25 GMT 1997

> Date:          Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:13:10 -0500
> From:          "David C. Carlson" <dcc. at worldnet.att.net>
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject:       Re: Ignition Coil Drive Circuit

> I have observed that ignitions with transistor or mosfet drivers for the
> coil do not have a capacitor (condenser) in shunt with the driver like
> the old-fashioned points, condenser and coil system. I realize that the
> switching times would be slowed by the addition of the capacitor.  I
> always thought the L-C resonance increased the spark energy and
> duration. Is the coil current collapse sufficient for spark generation?
>
> I am looking for comments.
>
> Dave

Well the way I see it is:

The energy in the cap is 1/2*C*V*V = 1/2*.22*10e-6*12*12= 16uJ
Energy in coil        is 1/2*L*I*I = 1/2*.01*3*3=         .45J

Assume coil primary L is 10mH (I can't remember exactly...), but the
point (no pun intended) is that the cap contributes virtually nothing
energy wise to the system.

Its use in points, as far as I can see is to lower the peak of and
slow down the inductive kick back, so the points don't arc. It could
be used to help protect the transistor in a similar manner, but
zeners do a more accurate job.

Remember the higher you can let your coil primary (-ve terminal) get
to, the higher the peak secondary voltage will be - they are
proportinally related (k~=100 on normal coils).

As for multi sparking, well maybe it'll help, but why not ensure it
happens properly on the first try?

BTW, has anybody experimented with building a say 12V->24V 10A
dc convertor to power the coil with? Think of all that energy - arc
weld with your spark plugs :-)

The coil may need heatsinking though...  10A * 24V * .5 duty cycle =
120W - ouch!

$$$ MAKE CAR FAST $$$
bryantt at psc.fp.co.nz