(Fwd) Cheap Speedo

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Fri Jun 20 23:52:23 GMT 1997

steve ravet wrote:

> > It would have entailed replacing the output shaft and tail housing.
> > This was a very tight budgeted project with a short fuse.  The short
> > term answer was to buy a speedo cluster from an '89 Chevy and plug
> > in the wire harness and leave it on the floor.  The AC signal from
> > the speed sensor is converted to an on/off 12 volt DC signal by the
> > PC board backplane of the speedo housing.
>
> You probably don't want to hear this, but there's a company called
> JTR that writes swap manuals for putting FI small block chevies into
> Z cars, volvos, S trucks, older non FI GM cars, etc.  They also have
> a line of parts to help the conversion, one of which is a VSS sensor
> that includes a mechanical cable drive, so you get a VSS signal for
> the computer and a cable for your speedometer.  Cost is around $5...
>
> --steve

Manuals!?!?! I don't need no steekin' manuals!

I knew there was some manuals out there.  This was a "I'm going in by
myself" type project. (Explain's my attitude for lurking around this
list.) I wanted to see if I could figure it out with minimal help
outside of factory documentation and the few "Hot Rod" and "Car Craft"
articles I had read.

I got it running.  I just couldn't tell how fast I was going.  But that
is now fixed also after alot of sweatin' and cussin'.

I appreciate the input.

Joe (Happy it's Friday) Boucher
'70 Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban