GM TPI auto trans -> manual?

Robert W. Hughes rwhughe at hal-pc.org
Tue Jun 24 15:10:07 GMT 1997

I have compared the proms (calpaks?) on a number of Fiero V6's from
86-88 with both automatic and manual transmissions. The engines are
essentially the same in this period and the proms for a given
transmission only show a few changes but... there are many and major
differences in the proms for manual and automatic transmissions.

I don't know how much of the operation is transmission dependent but I
do know the cpu uses road speed and engine speed to determine the gear
ratio in use. This is used at least for the torque converter clutch or
shift light.

Life would probably be much simpler if you break down and buy (or copy)
the prom for the transmission used.

Bob