Using TPI on a non-GM engine

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Thu Jun 26 00:58:16 GMT 1997

Hi Brock and All

I believe the infinity has a separate coil for each cylinder..
Retaining that will prove a bit of a challenge.

Even the latest PCM's don't have the ability to fire single
cylinder coils..

Assuming you are gonna keep the coils you have to use some
glue logic and build up a system similiar to the 2.8,3.1,3.4
coil pack and fire the coils in waste spark mode.

If you can get into the amp for the 2.8 pack it shouldn't be
that difficult to fire four two sets of coils..

The interface to the ECM is the same.. A Open collector ref
signal must be provided for the ecm to measure rpm and as
a ref for spark. The ecm provides a bypass signal which
switchs from sensor to amp mode into a sensor to ecm to amp mode
The amp also has an input for the ecm to drive..

Look into a manuel for a 85 up distributer for more info

The coil pack setups are the same as far as the ecm is concerned
as a HEI distributer. However the coil packs need a crank signal and
some use a cam signal..

Now if you graft a HEI distributer onto the thing from a 88 to 92 or
so I think most of your problems are solved.

Well mail me if you need more info:peter

Mind you where you used to work I would think you know much more
than me..