Crank sensor signal mod

Dick Protus djp at comlab.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 26 14:53:29 GMT 1997

> Hi Dick
> If you need pulses from a 12 tooth wheel and want to work with a 60 tooth
> wheel just divide (count down) by five.  Usually you are not so lucky and it
> is an odd fraction.  Then you have multiply by the numerator and divide the
> result by the denominator.
>
> At 01:04 PM 6/24/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >	I was wondering if anyone had ever modified the output signal of a
> >crank sensor to make it work with an ecm that was expecting a different
> >sensor/wheel combination?

	Unfortunately the missing teeth that are used for the indexing don't
correspond.  The 12 tooth wheel is missing 3, and the 60 tooth wheel is missing
2, (a lot less than the equivalent 15 missing).  I was thinking about using
a microcontroller to read in the rpm and the index then generate the
right indexed output.  I need to talk to electromotive to find out if they
have a work around before I put a lot of time into this.  I was just curiuos
if anyone else had tried tackling something like this before, and for other
opinions.

Dick