TPI on a 6cyl

Thomas Wright tgw3448 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:25:52 GMT 1997

Corey L. Cole wrote:

> > Thomas Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a common MAF system (i.e. not
> > > Buick GN) for a 6cyl that can handle 200 - 300 HP range?  Late
> eighties
> > > Chevy IROCs are easy to come by for salvaging parts, therefore I
> would
> > > prefer to adapt one of these V8 systems.
> > > I have many more specific questions, but I'll just leave it to
> these
> > > basic ones, first.
> > > Thanks
> > > Tom Wright
>
> Why not the Buick GN?  It's not really a special ECM.  All GM did was
> give
> the put a "turbo" calpack into the 6 cyl ECM.  Them there ECMs are a
> dime
> a dozen, and with all the GN tweakers, it's pretty well understood
> what works
> best.

Are you saying that the GN system is the same as other buick 6cyl FI
systems of the same time period with just a different EPROM?I don't know
much about different GM systems and the years and models during which
things changed. I just know a little about TPI systems since there is so
much on the web and in catalogs for those things.  I have also seen
numerous sites on Buick turbos, but figured it was a special system for
GN.
Is the MAF different between GNs and non turbo buicks?  Do non turbo
buicks have the distributorless ignitions?
I am interested in something REALLY common, so that I can get it from
the local junkyard CHEAP!
Any information or source of information on different GM systems
including models and the years of changes on common cars would be
extremely helpful.
Thanks
Tom