Info needed on porting details for a stock Tuned Port Intake manifold

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 30 21:22:28 GMT 1997

>> >I have one small piece of advice, Gasket matching head is OK, but
>> gasket
>> >matching the intake manifold is risky.
>>
>> >If you gasket match the head AND the intake manifold, there is no
>> >guarantee that they will match up perfectly when bolted together.
>> There
>> >will always be some play when mounting the manifold (and the gasket)
>> on
>> >the head, and if there is even the smallest area where the incoming
>> air
>> >hits an even slightly protruding edge of the manifold gasket or head,
>>
>> >then all your porting work will be undone.
>
>> How about dowelling the manifold and head and then doing the flow
>> work?
>> You are then guaranteed alignment unless you screw up the dowels

how can you dowel something that mates on an angle ??  If
the head is shaved or the gasket a little thicker or thinner
(either the head or the intake gasket) it's not going to meet
in the same place -- seems t'me you'd have to shave the intake
flange to assure a fit if tolerances were on the tight side and
then put in a compressible gasket to fill any gap if they were
on the loose side

just my $.02 .... watta I know ?

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>