Denso EFI potting=ack!

Chris Denzler cdenzler at pacific.telebyte.com
Mon Mar 3 21:54:45 GMT 1997

Hey all,

  The Suzuki TL1000S arrived on Friday.  It's fitted with a Denso ECU.
There's no EPROM slot, and the production version of the box is
completely potted with the most satanic stuff I've ever seen.  It's
like RTV with lots of ground glass mixed in... Is this an industry
standard potting material?

It's hell to chip off and the crunching noises sound exactly like the
cruching a DIP would give off while being destroyed. (!)

The catch is, we have to be very careful, because the bike is a brand new
model and there are no parts in the pipeline yet.  (and it has it's first
race in 4 weeks.)

Has anyone encountered this horrible stuff and if so, is there any safe
solvent for it that won't harm the board?

                                   - Chris