Denso EFI potting=ack!

Ken Mayer mayerk at IDT.NET
Tue Mar 4 02:12:43 GMT 1997

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Chris Denzler wrote:
[snip]
> It's hell to chip off and the crunching noises sound exactly like the
> cruching a DIP would give off while being destroyed. (!)
>
> The catch is, we have to be very careful, because the bike is a brand new
> model and there are no parts in the pipeline yet.  (and it has it's first
> race in 4 weeks.)
>
> Has anyone encountered this horrible stuff and if so, is there any safe
> solvent for it that won't harm the board?

I used to work for a defense contractor.  Everything was conformal coated
or potted.  We had a refrigerated freon tank to dissolve the coatings.
Hang it in the vapor for a while, and it would drop off.  Drop it in the
liquid for a few seconds, and it's gone.  I don't recall which refrigerant
was used, but if you can get your hands on some, try spraying the board.
I think some "cool-it" type sprays are still available with freon.
If it's an epoxy type material, all you can do is chip away at it.

Ken
:-)