FWD>[monte-list] GM Compute

Mark Tonazzi MARK.TONAZZI.0193171 at nt.com
Thu Mar 6 20:10:41 GMT 1997

Mail*Link=AE SMTP               FWD>[monte-list] GM Computer =
interchangability

Ed, the changes I know of are the transmission (3 speed vs. 4 speed O.D.) =
from
84 to 85 and I heard the timing settings were different from 85 to 86.

Each of these would require a different computer.  I would imagine the =
computer
is much more expensive than a chip, so I would not think of that as a =
viable
solution.

>From my experience, the chip makes little to no difference in =
performance.
The only thing I can tell different is the torque converter lock-up =
delay,
which makes the car a bit more drivable around town, but reduces mileage =
by about 3 mpg.

Since your 84 has no overdrive, you are better off spending your money on =
other
performance enhancements.  Just my opinion though!

MT

--------------------------------------
Date: 3/6/97 2:13 PM
From: monte-list at darklair.com
   ----- E X T E R N A L L Y  O R I G I N A T E D  M E S S A G E -----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---
Post from: Chief <afn14222 at afn.org> to the Monte Carlo list.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

I wanted to borrow my friends Hypertech chip and thermostat to put in my =
84
MCSS 305 HO.  He has and 85 MCSS 305 HO.
I tried the chip and thermostat.  Gives a code saying incorrect prom.

Checked with Hypertech, and the 84 uses a different chip than the 85.  So
then I call the local Chevy dealer.  He says that the 84, 85 and 86
computers all have a different part #.

Did Chevy change these computers from year to year just to screw with =
things?

Does anyone know the difference between 84, 85 and 86 5.0L HO computers =
and
can I just switch in an 85 computer to make things work ok?  I assume all
the sensors are the same from year to year.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed Hilker aka "Chief"
84MCSS 700R4