Vtec and Toyota 4AGE engine id's

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 06:24:46 GMT 1997

<<
 Could somebody please offer some help with ID'ing the different type's of
engine variant's on these two motor's. I know the Vtec 1600 come's in half a
dozen type's from 110 to 160 Hp but I don't know how to ID them. I imagine
there is a serial number prefix or something. I also need to know the three
different spec's on the Toyota 4AGE. This motor come in three variant's. A
110 Hp, 130 Hp and a 170 rare model as well. Yep that's right 170 Hp from the
16 valve motor. I know that maybe you can ID them from the tappet cover color
but colors or power I am not sure on. Now I also know that later 4AGE's had
20 valve motor's but they were not the 170 Hp motor's and I think that they
were more an economy motor (No dynamic performance). They reason I need to
know is that There are two of us ( one New Zealander and one Australian) that
are possibly looking at fitting either of these motor's to the back of a old
Fiat 850 (700kg). Also while you are here can anybody see any problem's about
running a gearbox backward's. Eg input shaft spun backward's from original
design. >>

The one Honda 1600 engine you want should be the B16A. It's the DOHC VTEC
one. Over here there are guys who've pushed that thing to put out like 400 or
so hp at the crank. You can use the whole engine and tranny assembly with no
problem. But the Honda engine does spin in a reverse direction.
On this subject...could anyone please tell me the model designation for the
Mitsubishi 2.0L engine that was used in the Starions? The US model Starions
and Conquests came with the crappy 2.6L G54B...but I'm trying to find out
more about the engine that was offered in all non-US Starions...
Thanks