Vtec of 4AGE Conversion

Paul Rosser paul.r at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 9 20:29:14 GMT 1997

Due to a couple of request's I am explaining the conversion I am hoping to=
 attempt in the not to distant future. The car is a mid 1970's Fiat 850 rear=
 engined sport coupe. The old motor of 850cc (55 Hp)  features a reverse=
 running north south orientation . The motor is situated behind the read=
 axle and features a G/B set up like the old VW. What I am hoping to do is=
 to either fit a VTEC or a 4AGE motor and front wheel drive gearbox in a=
 East/West configuration. The problem is that this setup would need to have=
 the motor forward of the Axle to get the right forward direction.=
 Unfortunately there is not enough room without fairly significant cutting=
 to do this. The other option is fit for example a VTEC motor with a normal=
 forward spinning engine gearbox and rotate the engine 180 degree's and have=
 it sitting behind the axle. This would give the required 5 forward and one=
 reverse. There is just enough room to do this. The preferential motor to do=
 this is a Vtec due to better power and also full alloy engine but it's=
 downside is the extra $700 dollars to buy one (4AGE-$500 or Vtec $1200).=
 Due to the massive number of replies I now know how to ID a 4AGE but still=
 have no idea on how to ID the Vtec. From what I have heard The motor's all=
 look the same and come from the same era but can yield very significant=
 power difference's. What I presume is the only way to ID the motor's is by=
 serial numbers. The difference is big going from a high revving lemon to=
 the equivalence of a peaky turbo with a real kick in the back. Any tip's or=
 idea's would be great and even lead's to look up.

Paul

<center>

Paul Rosser

</color>587 Frankley Rd	             	Ph  64 6 7539372

New Plymouth				Fax 64 6 7539372

New Zealand

<bold><underline>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3812

________