Vtec and Toyota 4AGE engine id's

Scott Davis ssdavis1 at coewl.cen.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 11 03:16:32 GMT 1997

>I just rebuilt a 4A-C for my brother-in-law and the inside looked like
>sewing machine.

	4A-C and the 4A-GE are different motors.  They share a common block, but
that is all.  The pistons, rods, etc are differnt.  The big difference is
the head.  The -GE head is DOHC, whereas the 4A-C motor is a pushrod
engine.  Looks are decieving, though, as the 3T-C motor (1.8L, 80-83
corollas) was also pushrod but has been used for 150 hp/7000 rpm reliably.
	The 4A-C is a cheap, reliable motor.  The 4A-GE is more performance minded.

>But maybe the 4V motors have larger components.
They are different in all aspects except for the block itself.

Scott

1980 Corolla SR-5,  Almost 4A-GE  GT-S
http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~ssdavis1