Automotive HID Lighting...

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 22:02:30 GMT 1997

> 70W). My question is, does anyone know if it's possible to get one of those
>  bulbs (that are meant for a 120V system), get a ballast (I guess this is
>  necessary to fire the bulb up), and then a power converter (?) to allow
the
>  light assembly to work on a car's 12V system...?

You can MAKE an inverter with minimal effort, with about $40 in parts.
 However, inverters generally waste power by making some heat in the process.
 Also, designing your own might be a little tricky.  For lighting and items
that are not AC/DC specific, it shouldn't be that big of a chore.

A ballast is generally used in Flourescent bulbs which have different
requirements than halogen or incadescent bulbs.

I would highly recommend searching the web for GE and Sylvania, both
companies have a large well rounded product line for lighting equipment and
see if you can find something.  Also, pretty much any 12V lighting product
theoretically could be used in a vehicle if the housing could be retrofitted
to DOT specifications.  What comes to mind real quick are 12V worklights.
 They don't have that neat bluish glow however.

Frederic Breitwieser
http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm