Vtec and Toyota 4AGE engine id's

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 14:04:00 GMT 1997

>  If you are going to use a trans vers vw trany you must atleast spin
>  the input shaft the correct way. You can flip the ring gear and make a
>  mid engine car.. I have a mid engine corvair engine bolted to a vw trany
>  running 200+ hp.. it works great.

Its a good setup, without a doubt.  I've been eyeing it for a while now...
though my HP goal is having engine upgrade options later on, hopefully
reaching the 400hp arena, therefore the bug tranny might not survive.  I was
told by a local "Bug" restoration place that the mini-bus tranny can handle
up to about 300hp, and with some rebuilding, can take more, but its pushing
it.

They also stated what determines the surviability of the tranny is where the
HP curve is.  Grunt, raw power off the line (low end torque) is what kills
transmissions, not necessarily high-hp in the mid to top end of the engine
RPM, because the vehicle would be moving at that point.

Fred