Automotive HID Lighting...

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Fri Mar 14 00:54:39 GMT 1997

 I've managed to clear my list of projects enough to put a few hours in
on my stalled EFI project.  I have accumulated an intake, properly sized
injectors, pump, and other assorted mechanicals.  I have a JK
Microsystems Flashlite board, which is a 3x4 inch board with an NEC
V25-10, an IBM XT clone chipset, an IBM compatible BIOS, and a DOS 3.3
clone in ROM.  It has 512k of RAM, 512K of flash EPROM "A:" drive, a
terminal port, a parallel port (which can also drive an LED display),
some A/D, and an interface port.  I have someone working on the
daughterboard to talk to the interface port.

 With the daughterboard I will have enough ports and A/D to do anything
I want.  Stage I, however, is to do just the bare minimum to make the
car start, idle, and drive around under its own power.  It doesn't have
to be as sophisticated as an OEM EFI setup; I don't want to jump in the
deep end on the software just yet.

 The simplest practical layout would be to go speed-density using RPM
and MAP, with a fudge table to make some gross corrections to volumetric
efficiency.  I've played with Haltech and Electromotive systems that did
just that.  I could sweeten it a bit by hooking up the O2 sensor and
using it to correct for volumetric efficiency; build the entire curve at
stoich, then save it in Flash and just add a percentage to that to get a
properly rich maximum power curve.

 My buddy Jay has been trying to talk me into going MAF to start with,
citing various OEM MAF setups that dispense with MAP, TPS, and other
inputs.  Unfortunately new MAFs are expensive.  I can get used Ford MAFs
for cheap, but from what I've read the Ford MAFs have "correction
curves" built into their circuit modules.  I need something linear, or
some curves for nonlinear MAFs.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a
(hopefully inexpensive) match for either of those requirements?

 If I have to do my own calibration and correction tables for a
nonlinear MAF, I really don't see any advantage to going to a MAF over
speed-density.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==