New to group

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Fri Mar 14 18:25:34 GMT 1997

It is a heated sensor.  For some reason when the engine is not up to temp it
runs rich during first few first gear accellerations.  The loop corrects and
when the 1-2 shift occurs it is still correcting, making the new point on
the fuel map, lower RPM and Higher MAP, too lean and the system and either
backfires or hesitates.  If I manually shift at higher RPMs there is no
problem either.  Once the engine is warmed up there are no problems.  I like
the unit pretty well but would like to make my own system some day.  I guess
that's why I'm on this list.  me

At 11:21 AM 3/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>From: Mark Eidson <mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com>
>Subject: Lean mixture on 1-2 shift
>Sender: owner-diy_efi
>
>Does anyone out there have a theory that explains why on my Holley 4di
>system the mixture goes lean and boggs during the 1-2 up-shift at
>constant
>throttle positions when the engine is not fully up to temperature and in
>closed loop operation?
>
>I don't know if you have answer yet, but I can shoot something at you.
>
>If you are in Closed loop and the engine is not fully warm, the mixture
>will be lean because the O2 sensor is not up to 600 degrees yet.  I
>would look at installing a Heated O2 sensor or check the engine temp to
>ensure it is up to 170 or higher engine temp.
>
>Just an idea.
>
>Do you like the 4di?  I have thougt about a setup like that, but I want
>to install SPFI on my 80 Turbo T/A, which now has a 400 Pontiac, but
>will get a beefier 301 Turbo (stock 301 Turbo ran 14.21 at 97.3
>uncorrected), any ideas?
>
>Thomas Martin

* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
*                                      Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and      Home: (602)831-6079                 *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *