MAF -v- MAP

George Najarian najay at deltanet.com
Sat Mar 15 19:59:28 GMT 1997

The Lincoln MVIII 80MM MAF has a well defined, calibrated transfer
function (in Kg/Hr). These are the units I use when I install larger
MAFs on SN-95 mustangs.

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:00:00 -0500, Dave Williams wrote:

>-> and running. The first time you change anything (higher altitude, new
>-> cam, wear n' tear), you'll have to reprogram if you went with MAP.
>-> MAF will adapt rather well to most changes.
>
> True, but it doesn't seem to be *that* critical.  If I'm going to have
>to go speed-density+O2 to calibrate the MAF, then I don't even need the
>MAF, right?  And I don't have to worry about a big cam fooling the MAF
>into thinking the engine is pulling more air than it is at idle; if I
>have to fudge things to correct this, then I'm back to speed-density
>again for all practical purposes.
>
> If someone can recommend a MAF that doesn't have to be calibrated
>somehow I may reconsider.
>

>-> Besides, MAP won't work at all if your setup doesn't develop any
>-> vacuum, even at idle (which is where we're all heading).  :-)
>
> The cam's not *that* big... but it's big enough the O2 sensor ain't
>gonna like the overlap, so I'll be running on a map at idle anyway.
>
>====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
>  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
>ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
>==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==

George Najarian	    | '95 Ford Mustang GTS Cobra (14.07/100.81)
najay at deltanet.com  | '86 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (15.0/92)
http://users.deltanet.com/~najay/   Team.Net    Team OS/2
Najay Engineering - Custom EEC reprogramming service available.