Placement of heated O2 sensor

Paul Rosser paul.r at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 17 01:55:29 GMT 1997

The best position for the O2 sensor is a close to the exhaust valve as possible. The closer you get the quicker it will come up to temp. As far as I know the heated ones tend to just heat up quicker but still need to be close to a good heat source. The position you are suggesting sounds a bit to far away. Approx positions are. upto 100mm for non heated element and upto 300mm for a heated one. Now mounting on the balance tube is a no no as the air is predominantly stationary and slow moving. You will get weird results. I would mount some ware in the direct flow to minimizing heating time and also to give a quick response. I hope this helps. Also take note that with running headers you will need to put the O2 sensor closer as the headers tend to run cooler than a cast manifold( eg not as much metal to hold the heat).

Paul

At 06:39 AM 3/16/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Howdy all,

>A quick and simple question.  For a twin system, is it OK to fit a heated O2

>sensor in the balance tube of the exhaust system ?  Or will the exhaust

>gasses in this place not be a true indication of what is coming out (does

>the air stand still in this tube) ?

>The reason for me asking is that its a lot simpler for me to fit the sensor

>in the balance tube rather than in one of the sides.  And the balance tube

>is less than 200mm after the extractors.

>Dan     dzorde at geocities .com

<center>

Paul Rosser

</color>587 Frankley Rd	             	Ph  64 6 7539372

New Plymouth				Fax 64 6 7539372

New Zealand

==>  <bold><underline>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3812

</center>