Nascar 9:1?

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Mar 18 13:29:52 GMT 1997

Probably because it effectively would be a great waste of money.
Carbs work very well when the can be made to work.  Eliminating all the
bother of starting in sub zero, idling, part throttle, part load means that
you can closely tune a roundy round carb to it's engine and get almost
anything that you want.  Secondarily, since things like the throttle
plates, 9:1 compression etc are designed by sanctioning bodies to SEVERELY
LEVEL the competition, forcing the use of an easily inspected and
verifiable carb vs a black box mystery of FI means that no team gets a
particular advantage from a computer.  Remember that it most sports,
including autoracing, once a certain level of performance is reached, the
PAYING public tends to prefer close fought contests with lots of action
revolving around the (uugh) DRIVER's relative abilities and really could
care less about "technical" improvements in the vehicle - witness dirt
track sprint cars - where the 20+ year old wing is still depised at certain
tracks, and drag racing where the 5000+hp monsters are still based on a
design that last saw production 25 years ago

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>