Hello!

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 20:51:30 GMT 1997

In message <199703181644.LAA10388 at dr_no.utias.utoronto.ca>, Todd
Chisholm <todd at oddjob.utias.utoronto.ca> writes
>Hello everyone,

Snipped portion.>

>After poking around in the DIY and EFI332 pages, I have a few
>questions.  My original thoughts were a very simple system based
>around an 8051 controller.  The EFI332 motherboard seems to be much
>more sophisticated.  Is the 8051 not powerful enough?  Is the EFI332
>the first full system to be put together by members?  Is there an FAQ
>that I should read to answer all these annoying questions?

There is an 8051 derivative that is targeted at this sort of
application.
This is the 80C552 from Philips which has a useful extra 16 bit timer
with load/compare abilities on the fly. As well as A/D and D/A
converters.  It does work well for ignition control (and EFI) if you can
come to terms with its clunky memory architecture.
A colleague of mine tells me that there now exist efficient C compilers
for 8051 family processors.  Not being a softie myself, I don't know how
efficient these are.
A HC11 would be an easier choice to write the s/w for.
--
Chris Morriss