design TBI for older engine??

JColl62271 at aol.com JColl62271 at aol.com
Fri Mar 21 14:31:03 GMT 1997

I've been following this forum for awhile now and have looked at several web
sites for info.  What I'd like to do is install a throttle body injection on
an older Ford 6 cylinder engine.  So far the only stand-alone systems I've
seen are either very expensive ($1200-1400) or are of questionable
reliability.

What I want is a controller which will handle a Ford throttle body with IAC,
preferably the single barrel from a Tempo/Topaz using inputs for coolant
temp, air temp, throttle position, MAP, O2 and possibly vehicle speed.  I
might like to incorporate ignition control at some time with a knock sensor,
but that isn't necessary.

I guess that what I'm looking for will end up being a lot like the Holley
Projection, but with more use of OEM parts like the throttle body, better
adaptablility to my engine, and more tuneability.

The engine is a 200 cubic inch Ford with integral intake manifold, so it
doesn't adapt well to port injection.  The projected horsepower is only about
140 @ 4000 RPM.

The performance criteria is based on driveability, not necessarily power.  I
want to make it start and run more smoothly, particularly at low rpm's under
load at part throttle.

I'm not an EE but have an understanding of how this all works.  I just need
some assistance in picking the right parts and adapting them to my use.

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions.  Your help would be
appreciated.  Thanks..