derrick/re:turbo super carged

Duane Reed duanered at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 22 07:20:46 GMT 1997

Derrick Pero wrote:

> I was also throwing a turbo charging idea but was wondering...
> To use a turbocharger I am under the impression that the compression ratio needs to be
> lowered to around 7:1. When not pressurized, or cruising, The CR would be exactly that.
> I thought an engine is more efficient at a higher CR? So that would make the engine
> inefficient just tooling down the highway?? Is it a tradeoff? Can you make a torbo work
> at 9 or 10:1 CR?
> --
> Later...
> Derrick

yes you can but have to run better fuel, more fuel,keep the charge temp
down, less timing, less load and or less boost. it comes down to
actual/realized compression ratio under boost  example my toyota truck
can run up to 10psi on 92 pump gas with the stock 9.5:1 that is about
14:1 boosted . it is inner cooled and it pings until the knock sensor
kicks in 4th and 5th gear.
anyways yes you can
Duane Reed