turbo/supercharging

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 10:26:54 GMT 1997

<< I was also throwing a turbo charging idea but was wondering...
 To use a turbocharger I am under the impression that the compression ratio
needs to be
 lowered to around 7:1. When not pressurized, or cruising, The CR would be
exactly that.
 I thought an engine is more efficient at a higher CR? So that would make the
engine
 inefficient just tooling down the highway?? Is it a tradeoff? Can you make a
torbo work
 at 9 or 10:1 CR?  >>

You CAN run a turbo on something along the lines of a 9:1 but 10:1 is REALLY
pushing it! Especially if you're not running with forged pistons-and at the
least-shot peened rods. Running a turbo on such a high comp engine will
require an intercooler. If you don't run with one..I wouldn't recommend going
over 5-6psi of boost. With proper fuel and ignition management...maybe 7-8psi
tops.

Van