turbo / seper charger - BEWARE

Joni Mikkola joni.mikkola at dlc.fi
Mon Mar 24 20:43:13 GMT 1997

> As for building a twin turbo 351W - well I'm about to try! I'm about to
> test fit a 351W block into my bay and see if the turbos will fit from the
> 302. It'll be tight and may involve cutting shock towers but it may work.
> Since the 302 and 351W are so close in size and can swap heads I'd look
at
> 302 kits and modify one. Be very careful of kits that place the turbo low
-
> if it's below the oil level in the pan you have to sump it and that
stinks
> when the pump fails. In my case I run cast manifolds and twin T-25's from
> Garret. I MIGHT speak to Mike about wheeling them up to T-28 specs but I
> shiver at the thought of turning over another piece of hardware to him.
> They did do a mean bolt-on job for 300Z's tho' - figured out how to
change
> the turbos faster than any dealer could and were doing them left and
right
> over there - while my car sat (sigh).

I think you should use at least Garrett T3. Because T25 or even T28 is too
small, in my opinion. I have a 1,6L engine with a Garrett T35/T3 hybrid
turbo. It is not too big for my engine. With T25 you get "very very" good
turbo response, but a lack of top end power. If your engine size is 5.0L
You should use Garrett T4.

Joni Mikkola
Automotive engineering
email: joni.mikkola at dlc.fi