Battery Cut Off

Doug Robson doug at cia.com.au
Mon Mar 24 21:55:38 GMT 1997

OK a slightly unrelated one for you guys and girls

under our country's racing authority the battery isolation switch has to
also shut the engine off. Currently most alternators go low on the load
side and produce balisitic voltage in the abscence of the battery
risking computers etc, and the car chugs on quite happily.
The trick is to insert a relay in the field actuator of the alternator
wiring(my alternator is external regulated) and then find a source that
is high when the engine is running and the batt switch is closed but
goes low when the batt switch is open. Problem at the moment is that
there is enough back emf in the system that the source from the output
side of the batt switch never goes low enough. i experimented with a
diode but logic should have told me not to bother. in one way when the
switch is closed and engine running the diode will let current through
to the relay switch, but of course it will also do this when ths switch
is open, the other way round its blocks the current all the time so the
alternator never charges. Any suggestions

Anyone....Anyone.... Beuller??

regards

|                       When I die                       |
|       I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather      |
|       not Screaming like the passengers in his car     |
| Home Page      http://www.cia.com.au/doug              |
| Mail address   mailto:doug at cia.com.au                  |
|     Visit the Club Car Racing Register of NSW          |
|            http://www.clubcars.org.au                  |