Bike EFI

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 25 13:47:48 GMT 1997

>I'm one of the people that would like to FI a bike engine. I know dick
>about electronics, but personally I would not consider throttle body FI.
>Bikes to my knowlage, with the exception of Harley Davidson, are designed
>around indiviual ports and carbs for each cylinder.  Throttle body on a
>Harley yes.  On the rest, unless you have a hair drier on it, I think you
>would probably lose out if you used throttle body FI.  I don't mess around
>with new bikes but my old BSA 500cc single cyl. makes 1.86 hp  per cubic
>inch at the rear wheel, this is from Superflow dyno runs I have made.
>Check out the HP the new super bikes produce.  I'll bet by the time you
>made a manifold etc. to run a throttle body you would not gain back from
>EFI what you lost to manifolding.
>
>Hylton

I don't think anyone claims you're going to make more HP with EFI.
EFI is about control .... things like fuel distribution; and
rapid throttle response; and better fuel control over the complete
operating range, etc.  Carburetors still work great if you're
interested mainly in performance and don't care about emissions
and optimum performance over the entire rpm range.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>