turbo/supercharging - turbo sounds!

jpearl at qsihome0.qsi.com jpearl at qsihome0.qsi.com
Wed Mar 26 00:30:32 GMT 1997

{>I'm missing something here.  I've read a few threads where pepople have
talked about analyzing the data from their DFI units.  Particularly getting
it into MS Excel or some other spreadsheet.  Why is this done and what are
the benefits?  I run a twin turbo 377 Chevy with DFI unit in my flat-bottom
boat and once I had it set up on the dyno, I don't feel the need to fiddle
with it.  I adjusted the fuel and ignition map to keep the motor from
rattling and also keep the EGT in line and haven't adjusted in since.}

Ah, there's the rub - you dyno'ed the thing! I myself have no access to
such a beast and if I did you can be darn sure the operator would want to
put a carb on it (sigh). Graph in Excel? Done that - but when the upper RPM
limit is 6K and the O2 never goes above say 1 you can get some pretty
whacky graphs. Electromotive has a multipane graph that has each logged
function in a seperate window and all windows "step" at the same time -
nirvana! In my case I've not yet found something better than Excel. also -
doesn't a boat run a pretty steady RPM most of the time? If so that makes
tuning it a bit easier I'd think....

jvp at qsi.com