what _IS_ a good cruise A:F ??

Gregory R. Travis greg at indiana.edu
Wed Mar 26 18:37:45 GMT 1997

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Tom Cloud wrote:

> >Lean running primarily causes the following:
> >
> >	1.  The mixture takes longer to burn (assuming normal combustion).
> >
> >	2.  The mixture burns hotter for the given amount of fuel.
>

> Greg, you may be right, but my understanding of what happens
> differs slightly from what you describe.  I understand
> that the hottest burning mixture is stoich, since all the
> components combine and burn.  That way, leaner and richer
> both burn cooler since less is burnt.  The problem with leaner
> is as you describe below, it burns slower, so unless the timing
> is adjusted, the exhaust valve will burn.

Actually, I think you're right on that point.  I'll have to go back
and re-check what gear my brain is in.

There's a nice graph of Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) vs. Cylinder Head Temp (CHT)
vs. mixture strength on my page at:

	http://gtravis.ucs.indiana.edu/Aviation/Manuf_Page/si1094d-6.html

greg

greg		greg at indiana.edu	http://gtravis.ucs.indiana.edu/