Turbo Talk... & HKS Controllers

Mark Taschek mtaschek at spdhw.dsccc.com
Thu Mar 27 13:48:49 GMT 1997

> << I don't know what the max duty cycle is - maybe it is high enough
>  to be a PWM boost controller. It is doing its work on the intake side.
>  If anyone has one of these it would be easy to stick a test light on the
>  solenoid (it is at the front top of the engine compartment) and watch
>  it in action.  I'll look around for the manual. >>
>
> If it acts on the intake side, then it's a pop off valve. There should then
> still be a wastegate on the turbine compressor housing of the turbo that
> actually controls how much boost it is producing. The APS is then most likely
> a pop off vavle that just makes sure the intake manifold pressure never
> reaches a critical level...so it jsut opens and bleeds off excess pressure
> when it senses danger...

/// One last time... the SAAB 900t has a analog control box the reads
    the knock sensor and if the knock is over a preset level that you
    can change inside the control box then the unit opens the air boost
    control valve and then the turbo waste gate can slow the turbine down.
    If you have good gas and the engine see's no knock then it will alow
    the wast gate to stay closed untill you have knock.....