Motorola or Microchip?

Roy spectric at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 22:47:51 GMT 1997

Todd King wrote:
>=20
> Text item:
>=20
> Sounds like fun... I'm also planning to EFI my motorcycle (FJ1100).  I'=
> currtently torn between the Microchip PIC16C74 and the Motorola 68HC11A=
8
> for processing.  The Microchip seems easy to get (read digikey).  You c=
an
> get a functional demo board, programmer, and software for about $170.  =
>=20
> Are you sure that's a "demo" board? It's really just a burner, right, o=
> are you referring to the board with a couple of LED's on one of the por=
ts?
> I'm afraid ya get what you pay for in this case. Unfortunately Moto had=
> quantities crunch the last few years but I've been told by a reliable
> source that they are working hard on fixing some of their recent "fault=
s"
> that have given Microchip some gains in market share. They seem to
> understand that the little guy has been squeezed out a bit and want to =
fix
> that. I have a 6811 EVM that provides programming, monitor program,
> headers and all for true demo capability; also checked into the Microch=
iop
> line and was unable to find anything comparable (typically only program=
mer
> boards). However you can whip up your own demo board of course, just wi=
th
> a breadboard unless you are going to operate it into the GigaHz range :=
-)
> Also you can download the Microchip simulator and assembler stuff from
> their site, spend $100 on a programmer and you've saved $70 (well actua=
lly
> the PICstart Plus is ~ $200) in your case, save for the cost of whippin=
> up a real demo circuit. BTW the full blown Digi-Key catalog is online
> now... Cool!
>=20
> haven't found a source for the HC11 stuff yet (eval. board etc.), so I
> don't know pricing.  The PIC seems like a good deal, though.
>=20
> I just bought a 6805 EVB (programmer) for $25 from a co-worker. I think
> Future (or someone like that) lists the Motorola stuff but be prepared,
> the 6811 EVM listed for $7-800 last I checked; EVB is cheaper. Get a
> catalog from 'em. Again though, check carefully into the Moto stuff, I
> think they are about to revamp some of their strategies and improve the
> chip availability. Also contact a local sales office or distributor; th=
ey
> oughta be able to fix you up with some windowed samples or something,
> especially if you mention that Microchip word :-)
>=20
> Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
>=20
> [...]

Hi there I recently purchased a motorola M68MPFB1632 board from Future
electronics here in the UK.  This uses an MC68336 processor and it is a
really well designed board, cost was around =A3900 Sterling.

The software is based on the Whitesmiths compiler and is available from
Cosmic Software again in the Uk.  This is an assembler, C compiler ,
Linker and BDM emulator.

If anybody requires further info please contact me.