Venturi effect with efi throttle bodies

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 28 14:51:36 GMT 1997

>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering about needing a venturi in a TBI system to aid in
>increasing air speed through a manifold, as this is used to suck air/fuel
>from a carb into the airstream in a carbed system. Is this unnecessary in
>EFI? wouldn't low-end torque suffer due to a lack of air speed at low revs?

I think I have the same mental definition as you -- venturi
is the little pipe stuck into the air flow that the fuel is
sucked out of ... right?  But, I think I'm wrong.  The bigger
picture is that a venturi is a narrowing in a flow path
causing a higher velocity in the flow.  If that's right, then
the carb or TBI throat is a venturi.  Is that right?

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>