Two questions concerning water injection.

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Thu May 1 02:01:08 GMT 1997

> Subject: Two questions concerning water injection.
>
> I have two questions after reviewing past articles from the diy-efi archives.
>
> These both concern turbocharged engines.
>
> First, if you add the water before the turbo, the water will obviously be
> well stirred up by the compressor wheel.  I have a large intercooler on my
> car.  My question is... Will the water have a tendency to condense and
> puddle in the bottom of the intercooler as the charge air is cooled?

I cannot answer this question, but I would think not as the air should
still be hot and dry and moving fast> Again this is only conjecture.

> Second, when the air/fuel/water mixture burns in the combustion chamber,
> does the water turn to steam?  If it does, the steam is obviously being
> created by some of the energy that would be lost as heat.  Since steam
> takes up a lot more space than water, wouldn't that create a lot more
> exhaust volume?  Would this extra volume of exhaust be useful in spooling
> up the turbo quicker?

I have asked my profesor here at the VRI and he seems to think that the
gain is largely through the reduction in propensity to knock and the
charge coling effect.  I think that the water might boil during the
compression stroke, casing additional pumping work required :(  I think
that direct water injection in cylinder might overcome this, but why
bother.  This is just my $0.02  I am attempting to build a
microcontroller auxiliarry fuel injection unit with a 68HC11 motorola
microprocesor with a lot of hlp from the WWU EET department. (my school)

<paste>
Garry Small Saab > Volvo Turbo APC project (www.teleport.com/~bertram)
> '87 Volvo 740 Turbo Sedan
> '66 Rover TC 2000
> '70 Toyota Corona Mk.I

reply  composed by Seth Allen, sorry for the confusing layout.